Externships & Practicums
Degree candidates interested in applying for an externship or practicum must be in good academic standing and should submit the following items to the Center for approval and submission:
- Letter addressed to Professor Kennedy detailing interest in the externship/practicum experience
- Current resume
- Unofficial Transcript
- Writing Sample
- Letter of Recommendation (optional)
Degree candidates must complete 156 work hours for 3 credit hours or 208 work hours of work for 4 credit hours (generally a minimum of 10 hours per week).
Degree candidates will be expected to keep a log of hours worked and assignments/projects during the course of the externship or practicum program. This log must be sent via email every 4 weeks to the Center. The externship or practicum coordinator will sign off on the log and will complete a formal evaluation at the end of the program.
Employee Benefits Externships & Practicums (EB 555) Heading link
Prerequisite: Fundamentals I of Retirement Plans (EB 520); Fundamentals II of Retirement Plans (EB 521); and Tax & Employee Benefits Research (EB 511). Candidates must complete 10 credit hours in the LLM program to be eligible; candidates can take up to 15 credits in any externship or practicum. The Center director’s assessment of the candidate’s ability to satisfy the externship or practicum requirements is mandatory before approval.
- ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law
- American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries
- IRS Office of Chief Counsel
- IRS TEGE Clinical Employee Benefits Training Program
- IRS TEGE Employee Plans, Office of Rulings and Agreement
- New England Pension Assistance Project
- Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
- Profit Sharing/401(k) Council of America
- U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Tax Policy, Office of Benefits Tax Counsel
- U.S. Senate Finance Committee
- Employee Benefits Practicum
- Executive Compensation Practicum
Tax Law Externships & Practicums (TX 550) Heading link
Prerequisite: Tax & Employee Benefits Research (TX 511) and Advanced Federal Income Tax (TX 520). Candidates must complete 10 credit hours in the LLM program to be eligible; candidates can take up to 15 credits in any externship or practicum. The Center director’s assessment of the candidate’s ability to satisfy the externship or practicum requirements is mandatory before approval. Contact the Center about additional prerequisites specific to each externship.
Internships Heading link
- IRS Office of Exempt Organizations Summer Internship
- Mercer: Please contact the Center for Tax Law & Employee Benefits for more information.