LLM in Intellectual Property Law
Effective Fall 2020, new students are not currently being admitted to the LLM or JD/LLM Joint Degree programs. Please contact the program directly for more information.
Intro Heading link
With new technologies and social practices giving rise to new intellectual property issues, leading-edge training in IP law and related practice techniques is necessary to keep up and advance in the fast-moving, competitive world of intellectual property. LLM in Intellectual Property Law candidates choose UIC Law for its extensive curriculum offerings, including numerous patent law courses. Our LLM in Intellectual Property Law gives you the competitive advantage you need to excel in practice. Learn substantive law and practical skills from some of the nation’s top IP academics, judges, and practitioners.
Requirements and Curriculum Heading link
Our program attracts recent law graduates and practicing attorneys who desire a better understanding of the complex and ever-changing practice of intellectual property law. Degree candidates can also earn their LLM in Intellectual Property Law online.
- LLM in Intellectual Property Law candidates must complete 30 credit hours in order to earn their degree. In addition to required courses, you will select elective courses specific to your areas of interest. Degree candidates must graduate with a GPA of 2.5 or better.
- To accommodate the diverse needs and experiences of degree candidates, the program may be pursued full time or part time. Most of our degree candidates complete the program within two years. Please read the Time Limits on Degree Completion Policy.
- Students who matriculated prior to August 16, 2019, are subject to degree requirements in place when they first enrolled, provided they complete those requirements within the time limit for degree completion and do not interrupt their enrollment without formal approval. Students should consult their appropriate Center regarding their degree requirements.
- Administrative IP Protection at the U.S. Border (IP 537, 2 Credits)
- Art & Cultural Heritage Law (IP 427, 3 Credit)
- Bankruptcy & Intellectual Property (IP 535, 1 Credit)
- Biotechnology Patent Law (IP 541, 3 Credits)
- Business Franchise Law & Practice (IP 431, 2 Credits)
- Clinic: Patent Advanced (IP 538, 1-3 Credits)
- Clinic: Trademark Class (IP 542, 1-3 Credits)
- Clinic: Trademark Class (IP 540, 2 Credits)
- Clinic: Trademark Class (IP 544CLN, 3 Credits)
- Comparative & International Patent Law (IP 506, 3 Credits)
- Copyright Litigation (IP 502, 1 Credit)
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (IP 513, 1 Credit)
- Entertainment Law (IP 434, 2 Credits)
- Externship in Intellectual Property Law (IP 550, 1-2 Credits)
- Independent Study in Intellectual Property (IP 596, 1-3 Credits)
- International Copyright Law (IP 499, 1 Credit)
- International Trademark Law (IP 512, 2 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in Business Organizations (IP 473, 2 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in a Digital Environment (IP 428, 3 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in International Business Organizations (IP 477, 2 Credits)
- Intellectual Property Licensing (IP 438, 3 Credits)
- Intellectual Property Management (IP 490, 2 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in Start-Up Companies (IP 486, 2 Credits)
- Legal Writing for Intellectual Property (IP 444, 2 Credits)
- Music Copyright & Licensing (IP 443, 1 Credit)
- Patent Law: Statutory & Regulatory Fundamentals (IP 445, 2 Credits)
- Patent Office Practice (IP 449, 3 Credits)
- Patent Post-Grant Practice (IP 521, 1 Credit)
- Publishing Law (IP 448, 1 Credit)
- Right of Publicity & Protection of Personality (IP 457, 3 Credits)
- Special Topics in Intellectual Property Law (IP 594, 1-2 Credits)*
- Sports Law (IP 464, 2 Credits)
- Taxation of Intellectual Property (IP 503, 2 Credits)
- Trademark Litigation (IP 500, 2 Credits)
- Trial Advocacy: Accelerated for Intellectual Property Attorneys (IP 404, 3 Credits)
- U.S. Intellectual Property Survey (IP 468, 3 Credits)
- U.S. Trade Secrets Law (IP 469, 3 Credits)
- Valuation of Intellectual Property (IP 525, 1 Credit)
*Special topics are offered on a variety of advanced IP topics.
Please review each course description to determine what prerequisites apply.