MJ Concentration in Intellectual Property Law
As the world grows increasingly dependent upon technology-based commerce, the need for intellectual property professionals to be conversant and confident regarding IP laws has never been greater. Intellectual Property Law candidates choose UIC John Marshall Law School for its extensive curriculum offerings, including numerous patent law courses. Our MJ Concentration in Intellectual Property Law offers non-lawyer professionals the same enhanced proficiencies and competitive employability that have earned our LLM program national recognition among IP lawyers. Learn substantive law and practical skills from some of the nation's top IP professors and practitioners.
Degree candidates can also earn their MJ Concentration in Intellectual Property Law online.
Effective Fall 2020, new students are not being admitted to this program. Please contact the program directly for more information.
Candidates pursuing the MJ Concentration in Intellectual Property Law candidates must complete 30 credit hours in order to earn their MJ degree. In addition to required courses, you will select elective courses specific to your areas of interest.
Our IP concentration attracts business professionals, licensing executives, paralegals, and patent agents who desire a better understanding of the complex and ever-changing practice of intellectual property law. To accommodate the diverse needs and experiences of degree candidates, the program may be pursued full time or part time. Most of our degree candidates complete the program within two years. Please read the Time Limits on Degree Completion Policy.
Students who matriculated prior to August 16, 2019, are subject to degree requirements in place when they first enrolled, provided they complete those requirements within the time limit for degree completion and do not interrupt their enrollment without formal approval. Students should consult their appropriate Center regarding their degree requirements.
Elective MJ Courses
- Administrative IP Protection at the U.S. Border (IP 537, 2 Credits)
- Art & Cultural Heritage Law (IP 427, 3 Credit)
- Bankruptcy & Intellectual Property (IP 535, 1 Credit)
- Biotechnology Patent Law (IP 541, 3 Credits)
- Business Franchise Law & Practice (IP 431, 2 Credits)
- Clinic: Patent Advanced (IP 538, 1-3 Credits)
- Clinic: Trademark Class (IP 542, 1-3 Credits)
- Clinic: Trademark Class (IP 540, 2 Credits)
- Clinic: Trademark Class (IP 544CLN, 3 Credits)
- Comparative & International Patent Law (IP 506, 3 Credits)
- Copyright Litigation (IP 502, 1 Credit)
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (IP 513, 1 Credit)
- Entertainment Law (IP 434, 2 Credits)
- Independent Study in Intellectual Property (IP 596, 1-3 Credits)
- International Copyright Law (IP 499, 1 Credit)
- International Trademark Law (IP 512, 2 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in Business Organizations (IP 473, 2 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in a Digital Environment (IP 428, 3 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in International Business Organizations (IP 477, 2 Credits)
- Intellectual Property Licensing (IP 438, 3 Credits)
- Intellectual Property Management (IP 490, 2 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in Start-Up Companies (IP 486, 2 Credits)
- Legal Writing for Intellectual Property (IP 444, 2 Credits)
- Music Copyright & Licensing (IP 443, 1 Credit)
- Patent Law: Statutory & Regulatory Fundamentals (IP 445, 2 Credits)
- Patent Office Practice (IP 449, 3 Credits)
- Patent Post-Grant Practice (IP 521, 1 Credit)
- Publishing Law (IP 448, 1 Credit)
- Right of Publicity & Protection of Personality (IP 457, 3 Credits)
- Special Topics in Intellectual Property Law (IP 594, 1-2 Credits)*
- Sports Law (IP 464, 2 Credits)
- Taxation of Intellectual Property (IP 503, 2 Credits)
- Trademark Litigation (IP 500, 2 Credits)
- Trial Advocacy: Accelerated for Intellectual Property Attorneys (IP 404, 3 Credits)
- U.S. Intellectual Property Survey (IP 468, 3 Credits)
- U.S. Trade Secrets Law (IP 469, 3 Credits)
- Valuation of Intellectual Property (IP 525, 1 Credit)
*Special topics are offered on a variety of advanced IP topics.
Please review each course description to determine what prerequisites apply.