JD/LLM in Intellectual Property Law
UIC Law's nationally recognized Intellectual Property Law program gives JD candidates interested in intellectual property law the opportunity to save time and money by concurrently earning their JD and LLM degrees. Learn substantive law and practical skills from some of the nation's top IP professors and practitioners. Joint degree candidates acquire the same advanced distinction and enhanced employability that attracts practicing attorneys and non-attorney professionals from around the world to our Graduate Intellectual Property Law Programs.
Requirements Heading link
Effective Fall 2020, new students are not being admitted to this program. Please contact the program directly for more information.
Students may matriculate into a joint-degree program only after they have completed 30 JD credits but before they have completed 60 JD credits. Joint JD/LLM in Intellectual Property Law degree candidates may apply the first 10 credits satisfactorily completed in the LLM program in which they are enrolled to the electives requirements of the JD. Most degree candidate will be able to complete the requirements of the joint program with 110 credits (80 JD 30 LLM) instead of the 120 credits required if the programs are completed separately. Students unable to complete the joint degree must still complete a total of 90 hours to be awarded the JD degree.
Students who matriculated prior to August 16, 2019, are subject to degree requirements in place when they first enrolled, provided they complete those requirements within the time limit for degree completion and do not interrupt their enrollment without formal approval. Students should consult their appropriate Center regarding their degree requirements.
Curriculum Heading link
Required LLM Courses
LLM Elective Courses
- Administrative IP Protection at the U.S. Border (IP 537, 2 Credits)
- Art & Cultural Heritage Law (IP 427, 3 Credit)
- Bankruptcy & Intellectual Property (IP 535, 1 Credit)
- Biotechnology Patent Law (IP 541, 3 Credits)
- Business Franchise Law & Practice (IP 431, 2 Credits)
- Clinic: Patent Advanced (IP 538, 1-3 Credits)
- Clinic: Trademark Advanced (IP 542, 1-3 Credits)
- Clinic: Trademark Class (IP 540, 2 Credits)
- Clinic: Trademark Clinic (IP 544CLN, 3 Credits)
- Comparative & International Patent Law (IP 506, 3 Credits)
- Copyright Litigation (IP 502, 1 Credit)
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (IP 513, 1 Credit)
- Entertainment Law (IP 434, 2 Credits)
- Externship in Intellectual Property Law (IP 550, 1-2 Credits)
- Independent Study in Intellectual Property (IP 596, 1-3 Credits)
- International Copyright Law (IP 499, 1 Credit)
- International Trademark Law (IP 512, 2 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in Business Organizations (IP 473, 2 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in a Digital Environment (IP 428, 3 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in International Business Organizations (IP 477, 2 Credits)
- Intellectual Property Licensing (IP 438, 3 Credits)
- Intellectual Property Management (IP 490, 2 Credits)
- Intellectual Property in Start-Up Companies (IP 486, 2 Credits)
- Legal Writing for Intellectual Property (IP 444, 2 Credits)
- Music Copyright & Licensing (IP 443, 1 Credit)
- Patent Law: Statutory & Regulatory Fundamentals (IP 445, 2 Credits)
- Patent Office Practice (IP 449, 3 Credits)
- Patent Post-Grant Practice (IP 521, 1 Credit)
- Publishing Law (IP 448, 1 Credit)
- Right of Publicity & Protection of Personality (IP 457, 3 Credits)
- Special Topics in Intellectual Property Law (IP 594, 1-2 Credits)*
- Sports Law (IP 464, 2 Credits)
- Taxation of Intellectual Property (IP 503, 2 Credits)
- Trademark Litigation (IP 500, 2 Credits)
- Trial Advocacy: Accelerated for Intellectual Property Attorneys (IP 404, 3 Credits)
- U.S. Intellectual Property Survey (IP 468, 3 Credits)
- U.S. Trade Secrets Law (IP 469, 3 Credits)
- Valuation of Intellectual Property (IP 525, 1 Credit)
*Special topics are offered on a variety of advanced IP topics.
Please review each course description to determine what prerequisites apply.